Thursday, October 18, 2012

First Grade Picasso

First grade did this project last year, however, this year, I have adapted it. Our district is really working towards varied outcomes this year, so I am trying to give the students more choices in their projects. This is easier on some projects than others.

Here is how I did it for this particular project:

Last year, everyone did a watercolor Picasso project:
First Grade Picasso

This year, everyone drew a Picasso portrait. They all chose their color scheme (warm or cool) and then I gave them 3 choice for how they could add color:

liquid watercolor
Crayola Color Sticks
oil pastels

They followed their color scheme to color their entire project. Here are some of the results:




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Some great results! It must be difficult offering a range of media for each project - more prep and clean up, extra time running through use/techniques/care of each one etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting with baby steps (especially for my little ones). I haven't even attempted giving choices to my kindergarten kiddos yet. You can see with the Picasso project that the choices that they were given were all fairly similar to each other- for my own sanity. I have also explained to them that once they use 1 media then they will need to pick another media for their next project.

    For the older students, it's a little bit easier. They can work on their own for longer periods while I meet with groups to discuss techniques.

    I am finding that I am going back to my mainstream classroom roots (I taught in the regular classroom for 16 years before moving to art) when it comes to the small groups. I think once the students get used to the adjustment, it will run fairly smoothly. I can hardly wait for them to start coming up with their own suggestions on how they want to create their final product!

    ReplyDelete