Saturday, November 24, 2012

PreKinder Navajo Sand Paintings

I repeated this project from last year:


This year, I made the "sand" more vibrant by adding much more food coloring to the white cornmeal and rubbing alcohol. The brighter colors look so much nicer!

I set up 6 stations on the patio outside of my room with 5 bottles of glue. I demonstrated to the students how to create a line of glue and "Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle" (hearing 25 little voices whispering these words as they worked was priceless) the colored sand onto the glue line. They shook the excess off into the containers and then moved to their next color choice.

By having the students physically move from color to color this year, it helped keep the colors separate. Last year, each station had all of the colors in it and by the end, they were just a big rainbow of sand.











Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment