Wednesday, February 12, 2014

PreKinder Valentine Hearts

Here is a fun project that I did with my 2 PreK classes for Valentine's Day.

I gave each child a slab of clay. I had bought 6 heart cookie cutters and they used these to cut a heart shape out of the clay. We used a straw to poke a hole in the top of the heart, so that we would be able to add a ribbon once they were finished.

I put a texture plate at each child's place and they used this to create a unique texture on their heart.

For the next class, the hearts had been fired in the kiln and were ready to glaze.  I had cups of glaze ready in the 6 basic colors (red, yellow, orange, blue, green and purple). They came to the counter and chose one cup and glaze their entire heart with this color. When they were finshed, they returned the cup and sat on the carpet.

I showed them how to use a small brush to paint a simple pattern on their heart, using a second color. They went back to the counter and chose a different color to add their patterns (using the cups that we had used from before, so that I only had to prep the cups 1 time).

After I fired the hearts 1 more time, we were ready to add a ribbon. I prepared the ribbons by adding a piece of tape to each end so that they would be able to push the ribbon through the hole. Then they were allowed to get 3 beads for each end of the ribbon (6 total). They brought their heart to one of the adults in the room and we tied the ribbon into a bow.

Happy Valentine's Day!




















Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment